Comrades 2019: Interview with Frik Nelson

Comrades 2019: Interview with Frik Nelson
BAK member Frik Nelson will be lining up for his 20th Comrades this year! This is a special achievement so we've  decided to interview Frik and posed a few questions to get an idea as to what goes into his preparation and what got him started.  Happy reading! 1. When did you take up running and what kept you going for all these years? I was a cross country runner at school because in those days, in the 70’s, the maximum track distance was 3000m. In cross country we do 4km. I was never really good at it, but I loved the distance. I ran throughout my school days, in the army and at varsity. I ran too hard so I lost interest. For 5 years I stopped running, and when my wife Hantie started running/walking I joined her. From there on I decided to just enjoy it and I never stopped since then! To me, running is a stress reliever and love to run to clear my mind. 2. When did you do your 1st Comrades and what was the motivation? In the year 2000. Always wanted to run it. I was a supporter of the race, even…